Friday, June 20, 2008

Safety First


Lincoln, Nebraska -- A man is recovering from second and third degree burns after the cleaning products he was using ignited in his home.

Officials say the homeowner was cleaning his floors when the fumes from the cleaner ignited the pilot light in the furnace and hot-water heater, causing the blaze.

"We would encourage people to use non-flammable solvents, use plenty of ventilation and -- if possible -- shut off or stay away from sources of ignition, meaning water heaters, stoves, electric tools, etc. Use lots of ventilation in those areas," said Captain Dustin Morton, Lincoln Fire and Rescue.

Officials say one victim managed to escape uninjured while the other suffered second and third degree burns to his forearm.

The house sustained $15,000 in structural damage and $5,000 in losses.

It may look like water. It may smell good. But it could hurt you. Without warning! Remember, safety first. Take this quiz to learn more about your household cleaning chemicals......

Take The Quiz

No comments:

Post a Comment